If you’re interested in learning more about crosscurricular integration, we have a plethora of resources available on our website and in our blog. Here are a few resources to help you integrate engineering into other subject areas.English Language Arts:
- Our blog post “Engineering Goes Hand-in-Hand with K-5 Literacy Instruction” explores the Literacy Resources available for all 20 in-school units.
- All 20 in-school units are also mapped to Common Core State Standards for ELA.
- Read about how our storybook illustrations support ELA Instruction.
- Check out our post about how applying math knowledge to problem solving is an engineering habit of mind.
- Learn more about our Linking the E & M in STEM PD workshops in the blog post “Math Makes Sense When You Engineer.”
- Explore the multimedia Science Resources available for all 20 in-school units.
- Learn how EiE boosted science test scores and helped close the achievement gap at a Kentucky elementary school.
- Wondering what differentiates science and engineering? Read up on our blog or check out this EiE Spotlight video:
- Find more information about our downloadable extension lessons on the blog—there are extensions for every subject area we mentioned here, as well as art and social studies!
- The Science Museum of Minnesota has created a handy set of integration ideas for six EiE units. They connect individual lessons to ELA, math, science, and social studies! Find the list at the bottom of this page (along with tons of useful teaching tips).
- Our afterschool curricula, Engineering Adventures and Engineering Everywhere, have additional educator resource pages for each unit that include videos, articles, websites, and books that will help you make connections to all subject areas. Find them on each unit page under “Resources for This Unit.”
We’re always looking for new teacher tips! How do you integrate engineering and other subject areas in your classroom? Share with us in the comments below.