Each Thursday on the EiE Blog, we answer your questions or offer teaching tips for your engineering classroom.
Q: Are the EiE curriculum units mapped to my state's science standards?
A: YES! EiE offers teachers a comprehensive set of online “alignment guides”—documents that show, concisely and conveniently, how each of the 20 EiE units aligns with various standards. Our team has just updated the guides for these three states:
Standards Alignment Guides for All 50 States
Q: What if I teach in one of the other 47 states or the District of Columbia?
- Check our improved NGSS alignment guide if your state has adopted the Next Generation Science Standards
- Check our state-specific alignment guides if you teach in a state that has recently revised its science standards; these include Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina
Improved and Easy to Use
Q: How do I use the guides?
- Both the NGSS and state-specific guides match each science standard to the relevant EiE unit(s) that connect to the science content of the standard.
- Guides are organized by grade, from kindergarten to 5thgrade.
- The grades are color-coded, so it’s easy to find your grade.
- Scroll to the end of the NGSS guide to see “suggested EiE units”—the units most appropriate for your grade level.
Q: Can I find out how my new state standards compare to the old ones?
- Yes! Check our handy state-by-state table
- The links let you explore both old and new standards
If your state still is in the process of revising its science standards, check back soon; we update our alignment guides promptly once state revisions are complete!
Did you know . . . we also have guides to show how EiE connects with popular science curricula like FOSS and GEMS? Take a look!
Got a question for EiE or a teaching tip? Let us know. If we use your question on the blog, we’ll thank you with the EiE Teacher Guide of your choice.