In honor of Black History Month, we’ve gathered a list of organizations working to promote Black excellence in STEM, from students at the university level to professionals throughout their careers. Some include paid memberships and events, others have 100% free resources for students and professionals seeking information about advancement in their field.
• EiE | Professional development workshops, virtual trainings, and customizable implementation plans that give educators the skills and confidence to teach hands-on, minds-on, interactive preK-8 STEM curricula.
• Black Data Processing Associates | Non-profit organization focused on advancing African Americans and underrepresented minorities in their STEM careers.
• Black Girls Code | Founded in 2011 by Kimberly Bryant so her daughter would be the last "only-black-girl-in-the-room" at a computer science camp, this incredible organization boasts resources for educators and students alike.
• Center for Minorities and People with Disabilities in Information Technology | A non-profit organization of public and private agencies, corporations, and institutions that focuses on supporting the development of an information technology workforce in underrepresented groups.
• /Dev/Color | A non-profit organization that aims to advance the careers of Black software engineers.
• National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering | Corporate support, scholarship programs and a career center are all available for members.
• National Association of Multicultural Engineering Program Advocates | A group for education and engineering professionals from all cultures.
• National Society of Black Engineers | One of the largest student-governed organizations based in the United States, dedicated to increasing the number of culturally responsible Black Engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community.
Are you a member of any of these organizations? Any we missed? Let us know in the comments down below - and let us know what resources for professional development you’re looking for! We’d love to hear your ideas and help find or create solutions for you!