In honor of Women’s History Month, we’ve gathered a list of organizations working to promote women’s excellence in STEM, from students at the university level to professionals throughout their careers. Some include paid memberships and events, others have 100% free resources for students and professionals seeking information about advancement in their field.
• EiE | Our professional development resources are geared toward preK-8 educators interested in STEM empowerment - with one-on-one coaching or group seminars plans available, we’re here to help you reach your goals.
• Black Girls Code | Founded in 2011 by Kimberly Bryant so her daughter would be the last only-black-girl-in-the-room at a computer science camp, this incredible organization boasts resources for educators and students alike.
• GEMS (Girls Excelling at Math and Science) | Inclusive clubs founded in 1994 to encourage students, especially girls, to pursue education and careers in STEM fields, particularly technology, engineering and related high-paying, entrepreneurial enterprises.
• Girls Who Code | With clubs, summer immersion groups and college alumni programs, this organization is on a mission to close the gender gap in technology and to change the image of what a programmer looks like and does.
• Rails Girls | Giving girls and women the tools and a community for women to understand technology and to build their ideas. Learn sketching, prototyping, basic programming and get introduced to the world of technology. Rails Girls was born in Finland, but is now a global, non-profit volunteer community.
• Resources for Women in Computer Technology | A guide by Purdue Global detailing the history of women in science and technology, as well as career resources, networking opportunities and an index of organizations that introduce young girls to the CS and IT.
Are you a member of any of these organizations? Any we missed? Let us know in the comments down below - and let us know what resources for professional development you’re looking for! We’d love to hear your ideas and help find or create solutions for you!